Monday 17 September 2012

Viola

Watercolour
10" x 10"
Sold
 
I was asked to paint some violets for a September birthday, the only problem being that they flower during late Winter-Spring. 
I prefer to paint the real-thing and pondered this predicament.
Last Saturday I went to visit Beth Chatto's garden.  Hurray, there were violets for sale and one had flowers.  When I read the plant label it was called Viola odorata "Miracle Classy Blue".  I was particularly surprised but gladdened by this miracle, I bought it home and set to with earnest!

My friend Janet told me this: In the Language of Flowers, Violets mean "Faithfulness, Watchfulness and Modesty".  This painting is for a beautiful little girl :) and I am so delighted to know this; I shall definitely tell her Mum!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment